Old January 6th 07, 08:31 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.repair

Default Cleaning of blackened stones on fireplace ?

What would be a good product to use to clean natural river rock that has
been blackened from a fireplace? The smut seems to only be on the surface,
but it has been there a long time.

What would you recommend, and would you use a wire brush or something else ?

Thanks !!

--james--

Old January 6th 07, 08:49 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.repair

James wrote:
What would be a good product to use to clean natural river rock that
has been blackened from a fireplace? The smut seems to only be on
the surface, but it has been there a long time.

What would you recommend, and would you use a wire brush or something
else ?

I don't know. I can tell you this, according to the CRC Handbook of
Chemistry and Physics, the only substance in which carbon is soluable is
molten iron (that's how they make steel), so searching for a chemical
solution is probably futile.

Old January 6th 07, 08:53 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.repair

Well, I am not so sure of this. I feel certain there is a common household
product that will clean smut off of a fireplace.

--james--

-------------------------------------

Old January 6th 07, 09:21 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.repair
Ook Ook is offline

I have natural river rock around my wood stove, built by the previous owner
( I hate it! Ugly!). Anyhow, like with brick, the stuff is porous, and you
will probably never get it completely clean. Unlike brick, it river rock
tends to not be as porous, so you might get it cleaner then if it were
brick.

Your local fireplace store has cleaners that do a half decent job. Soap and
water and a good stiff scrub brush works. Oven cleaner might work, but might
not be feasible and might stain the rocks. The mortar holding the rocks in
place is probably more porous and more susceptible to staining. I would not
use a wire brush, as the wire might be hard enough to scratch the surface of
the rock. A good plastic scrubber should do the job.

"James" wrote in message
. ..

What would be a good product to use to clean natural river rock that has
been blackened from a fireplace? The smut seems to only be on the
surface,
but it has been there a long time.

What would you recommend, and would you use a wire brush or something else
?

Thanks !!

--james--

Old January 6th 07, 09:26 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.repair

James wrote:
What would be a good product to use to clean natural river rock that has
been blackened from a fireplace? The smut seems to only be on the surface,
but it has been there a long time.

What would you recommend, and would you use a wire brush or something else ?

Thanks !!

--james--

Mix a solution of high-alkaline cleaner and one ounce of chlorine
bleach per gallon of warm water. . Wet the surface of the fireplace
well with the solution, but don't use so much that it runs. Dirty water
running down the face may cause hard-to-remove streaks. Then scrub with
a brush. You know it's working when the suds are black. This always
worked for us but time consuming. We use thick bristle brushes and
scotch guard pads.

Old January 6th 07, 09:33 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.repair

James wrote:

What would be a good product to use to clean natural river rock that has
been blackened from a fireplace? The smut seems to only be on the surface,
but it has been there a long time.

On page 245 of their book "Home Maintenance for Dummies" (ISBN
0-7645-5215-5) the Carey brothers recommend the Advanage cleaning
products (note the spelling) from www.advanage.com.

I have no connections and no experience whatsoever with the website or
the product, I just happened to have the book handy and saw your post.

Best,

Old January 7th 07, 02:17 AM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.repair

James wrote:
Thank you all for responses !! BTW, what is a "high-alkaline cleaner" ??

We use a product called Aquamix which we bought at Lowes. It is for
deep cleaning of stone or porous(sp) surfaces. It's a bit more user
friendly than the industrial types - ie: product used in a steam
cleaner for engine cleaning. I guess the blackened stone is from smoke
which is acidic and an alkaline cleaner lifts it. all i know that it
took off 60 years of sute off our fireplace brick.

Old January 7th 07, 10:24 AM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.repair

Thanks a lot Robson !!!

--James--

Old January 7th 07, 02:02 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.repair

In article . com,
wrote:

Wet the surface of the fireplace
well with the solution, but don't use so much that it runs. Dirty water
running down the face may cause hard-to-remove streaks.

Along that same line..... always work from the bottom up when cleaning a
vertical surface to prevent streak lines.