Jon Elson

Default newbie question - drilling big holes in steel plate

Dave in MD wrote:
I'd like to drill a 1 5/16" (1.3125 inch) hole in a 1 inch thick mild steel
bar. I only have a drill press in my shop. Is there a way to drill a hole
this big in a home shop, without a milling machine?

It has been suggested I try a HSS hole saw at low RPM (less than 400) with
plenty of cutting fluid.

It doesn't have to be pretty, and the jig I'm making doesn't require super
high precision.

Thanks,
Dave

You can also use a flycutter. You need to clamp the workpiece
securely on the table. There is an adjustable cutting tool on
an arm. Cutting all the way through thick material is tricky,
as it often causes chatter. You may have to move the cutting point
in and out to open up an annular ring before advancing deeper,
and then make a finishing pass at the final diameter.
If your drill chuck is not securely attached, it may come off at a bad time.

Jon