Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom Horne, Electrician Tom Horne, Electrician is offline

Default roto zip drywall cutter question

# Fred # wrote:
I'm using a 1/8" roto zip sabre cut bit (wood and plastic siding) to cut
drywalls but having a little problem following the outline of electrical
boxes or wall studs. Trimming the drywall off using the wall studs as a
guide I sometimes cut into the wood or trying to following the outline of an
electrical box the bit sometimes wonder off. Am I using the right bit or
just my poor technique? I now have a new appreciation for the pros making it
look so easy trimming around the walls and boxes.

Are you cutting clockwise around the electrical boxes? If you do that
then the clockwise rotation of the bit tends to pull the bit away from
the edge of the box. If you make the cut counter clockwise around the
box the bits rotation tends to pull the bit tight to the work. I would
suggest that you always run your cuts in the direction that will cause
the leading edge of the bit to rotate away from the work so that it
tends to push the tool tighter to the cut.
--
Tom Horne

for general use." Thomas Alva Edison