Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Which end of a 2x4 is the top?

On 7 Jan 2007 08:00:45 -0800, "Harry K"
wrote:

Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 6 Jan 2007 08:12:00 -0800, "Harry K"
wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:
Trust me, the last thing I need to research is a tree in Africa. I am
constantly expanding my horizons in much more fruitful ways.

Look, it's just a tree with a large trunk and skinny branches. It does
not grow upside down no matter legend says.

But it _is_ upside down. It is south of the equator after all.

It's "down" that's upside-down.

"down" is the local direction that things move in when unsupported.

Harry K

BTW, now I may hear about the nonexistent X-axis reversal with a
mirror.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent
force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov

Nonexistent? You don't see your left hand where the right should be in
a mirror?

You don't. You see your right hand and CALL it "left" (see below).

Harry K

What's actually reversed is the (observer relative) definition of
"left" and "right". Notice that if you stand facing a mirror and point
to the left with your left arm, and look in the mirror the image there
appears to be pointing to the right with its right arm. Notice that
both you and the image are pointing in THE SAME DIRECTION and WITH THE
SAME ARM.

Looks like some people pay more attention to WORDS than to the actual
world around them. Reality consistently fails to do as it's told.

Where the real reversal is, in on the Z-axis (front to back).

As for down, as you travel around the earth (a sphere), "down" is in
one of an infinite number of directions.