Posted to alt.home.repair
krw krw is offline

Default More pics of my neighbor's roof

In article om,
says...

Frost forms when a surface cools to a temperature which is colder than
the dewpoint of the air next to the surface. The frosted area of the
roof must be cooler than the rest of the roof and has nothing to do
with moisture in the roof itself.

That does make sense, but why are the shingles wet when it's not below
freezing? That's why I was thinking that it's this wetness that causes
the frost.

When the temperature falls below the dew point, moisture (dew)
forms. If this temperature is below freezing the moisture
sublimates from its gaseous state directly to a solid (frost).

You all have some very interesting theories! My neighbor hasn't called
anybody yet to look at her house because of the holidays, but I hope
she will soon. She already had a leak in her roof in another spot last
year. She usually calls the guy who built the house, but I would think
this is not a good idea. If anything was in fact wrong with the
construction of the house, he sure wouldn't admit to it and fix it, he
would try to cover it up instead.

A call to an independent might help, if you can find one who wants
to get involved.

Glad it ain't my house!

ALL houses have issues. :-(

--