Posted to alt.home.repair
krw krw is offline

Default More pics of my neighbor's roof

In article , jm44316
@spamnotalltel.net says...

"krw" wrote in message
t...
In article . com,
says...
I posted a question last week or so about my neighbor's roof having a
wet spot on it. Two days ago, I took a few more pictures. It was below
feezing overnight and at 7:30 am the neighbor's roof looked like this:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...3/HPIM1605.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...3/HPIM1604.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...3/HPIM1603.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...3/HPIM1602.jpg

What do y'all think?

The main suggestion under the other post were that it is caused by a
possible ventilation problem. The bathroom that is right there where
this spot is.

It's hard to tell, but it looks like the "spot" is frozen. If so
perhaps it's just frost? Maybe that section of the roof is getting
*better* air flow so it's staying cold longer. Frost on roofs
around here is a good sign. ...well not this week (record temps).

--
Keith

Ya, but why would just that spot 'frost' and not the rest of the roof?

Perhaps that section of roof has better ventilation, so gets colder
faster. Perhaps worse so it warms slower. It's hard to tell, but
I see such things all the time.

doubt the rest of the roof is 'bad' and this one spot with frost is 'good'.

It could easily be that there is no 'good' or 'bad', just
'different'.

Obviously, there is a problem with moisture at that point on the roof.

No, it's not obvious at all. It certainly isn't moisture coming
out of the house freezing on the roof. Shingles aren't intended to
breathe.

Excess moisture in that spot is causing the frost.

*VERY* unlikely. The moisture would have to get through the
shingles.

In the last round of
pics that were posted, it looked like the sheathing was sagging and damaged
as well. Could be caused by problems with venting.

Didn't see them. If there is a problem, it's venting not moisture
coming through the shingles. If the sheathing is damaged (I can't
see it) it is a serious moisture problem.

You really need to have
a pro look at this. One who can investigate the cause, and correct it.
There could be a boatload of mold up there as well.

I *highly* doubt it, though anything can happen. I think you're
looking for a disaster.

The problem will not fix itself or go away, but it will get worse!

Not if there is no problem.

--
Keith