Posted to alt.home.repair
SJF SJF is offline

Default More pics of my neighbor's roof

"marson" wrote in message
oups.com...

Doug Miller wrote:
In article . com,
"m35603" wrote:
I posted a question last week or so about my neighbor's roof having a
wet spot on it. Two days ago, I took a few more pictures. It was below
feezing overnight and at 7:30 am the neighbor's roof looked like this:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...3/HPIM1605.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...3/HPIM1604.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...3/HPIM1603.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...3/HPIM1602.jpg

What do y'all think?

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say that's perfectly normal. The
frost
shows which parts of the space under the roof are properly insulated:
every
place you see frost, the insulation is good. Where you don't see frost,
the
insulation is inadequate: so much heat is escaping from the house in
those
places that the roof is too warm to collect frost.

In a nutshell, the parts with the frost are OK. It's all the parts that
*don't* have frost that have a problem.

That's my guess, anyway.

--
Regards,

but why isn't there frost on the eaves then?

Frost is moisture from the air which condenses on objects which radiate heat
to become colder than the surrounding air. The eaves are exposed to the air
on both sides and stay warmer than a well insulated area which is exposed on
only one side.

SJF