Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Outside antenna rotator question...

dpb wrote:
wrote:
OK, how would/could it help with any of the issues _I_ have? None,
that I can see.

I've not had a 2-yr old for over 30 years and certainly don't expect
any more. But, for the most part, it is about the right intellectual
level of most tv content, I'll agree.

While I do enjoy sports to an extent, it's a case of can "take if or
leave it" and certainly not of sufficient interest that would play
stuff over and over or rewatch old games, etc. The wife's level of
interest is even less...

You seem to have a difficult time with the thought that somebody else's
interests and activities don't seem to mirror yours...

you see untill you or a good friend uses one you cant understand
how it really changes your life

Only can change your life it you let it. That, to me, is the
fundamental difference -- I have no intention or desire to change my
life to conform to something else -- I'm perfectly content as I am.

prime time shows have nearly 20 minutes of commercials that I skip
thru, for each hour I get that time back to do other things, and avoid
hemmroid and other messages

There are no prime time shows worth wasting 20 minutes on, anyway, so
what difference does it make?

hey that gal looked nice, run it back what did they say? run it
back

If it wasn't worth watching the first time, why would I want to see it
again?

Phone rings just pause tv.

Or let the answering machine pick it up, or ... No TV is worth enough
to make it of any real significance if it goes by unseen.

2 good similiar shows on at same time? why choose I record them both.

Hard to find even one good show on ever, what more two. Again, tastes
vary, and I have no idea what you watch or think "good", but as noted
previously, with something approaching 100 channels at Mom's apartment,
the likelihood of anything other than sports being anything I would
watch at any point in time during an evening visiting was almost
vanishingly small... If it hadn't been part of the basic rent at
the assissted living complex, I'm sure Mom would have been just as
happy without it as she was never a TV-watcher, either.

Now before you say VCRs do stuff like this NO VCR will allow you to
start waching a show thats already recording skip thru commercials and
catch up by the end

It REALLY changes how you look at tv forever!

Again, only if you let it. OK, I could record the 15 minutes of local
interest on the evening news and weather and cut out the 2-minute
segment between the two where Bucklin Tractor plays their commercial
and another one and then play it back in 13 minutes instead of 15. Or
start watching (really, only listening) five or ten minutes later in
the broadcast. Whoopee! If I'm watching the Friday "Farm and
Market", it's on local PBS and is straight-through.

I read a lot; this winter has been Churchill's four-volume history of
WWII. That got me into some other contemporary and posthumous
biographies of Churchill and others. Other than that, have been
working on a syllabus for a series of Adult CE courses on modern
physics and similar topics, hopefully to start teaching next fall at
the local Community College if I can find enough time to get it
completed by then. That's been a major brushup on events since I
finished grad school nearly 30 year ago, now. Then, there's the
routine farm recordkeeping and bookwork. And, just to round out the
schedule, there's a board or committee meeting on average of two or
three nights a week plus the associated effort required to prepare and
fulfill obligations of/to those organizations of which I'm an active
member. Overall, there simply isn't much time to devote to TV or need
to use TV for entertainment or a distraction. The wife has her own
agenda -- different, but not much (if any) less full...

gee for my family tv is entertainment and informational. while doing
other stuff, i watched a documentary on the start of the spanish
american war over sinking of the battleship maine in cuba. it wasnt
torpeoded, war as mistake coal bunker blew up. also watched seconds
from disaster about the final columbia flight and some general
enterainment. while out for dinner and new printer recorded CBS
national news, watched it when we got home, following war and democrat
take over of congress carefully

all whiole working on networking computers and printers, lots of dead
ime on this project, waiting for reboot etc.

you know if you had a TIVO or satellite tv you might find some shows
worth watching.......

some day when your around it, you too will see the value. the device is
a tool for watching tv, just like a shovel is for digging a ditch