Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] me@my.com is offline

Default Outside antenna rotator question...

On 6 Jan 2007 12:12:17 -0800, "dpb" wrote:

wrote:
On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 01:40:57 GMT, Rich256 wrote:

dpb wrote:
Todd H. wrote:
"dpb" writes:

Is there a way to control a rotator from inside w/o running hard cable
from the set location all the way? Problem is antenna entry is from
under eaves at attic level of two-story and the TV location is on first
floor and there's no way easy enough to get a cable pulled ...

The last house I had with a roof antenna anda rotator had the rotator
cable run up the side of the house. It wasn't hard to get that routed
since the control location was in a room with an exterior wall.

I think the voltage for most light duty rotators is low. It comes from
the control unit. Only place you need 110 is at the control unit. I
have one that uses a light duty 4 wire ribbon cable from the control
unit to the rotator.

The voltage is 24 volts AC.
I made my own crude control some years ago.
It was just a 24V transformer and some switches. It's not rocket
science, just apply voltage to one wire and it turns the motor CCW and
to the other wire and it turns CW. Of course I did not have the
indicator inside, which is most of the circuitry in the factory made
controls. I used to have to look out the window to see where it was
pointed, or just turn till the best tv signal came in. Anyhow, the
voltage is 24 at least on the old Alliance rotors which was probably a
unit from the 1960's back then. For wire to the motor, I have used
plain thermostat cable, although the insulation dont last long on that
stuff in sunlight, so the flat 4 conductor stuff made for rotors is
probably better.

I dont blame the OP for his refusal to sign the contracts for
satellite service. I simply called a company to get a price. It was
way more than I was willing to pay for tv service. They were like
vultures, refused to listen when I said "Not Interested". They began
calling me contantly (I am on the DNC list). The filled my mailbox
with weekly junk, and harassed me to no end. I finally filed a
complaint with the FTC and my phone company. The calls stopped, but 4
or 5 years later I still keep getting mail from them. I often take
their mail and write "return to sender". Let them pay twice for their
junk mail.

Yes, it wouldn't be hard to make a controller that I could use from the
entrance point in the attic; the problem is the local interface in a
convenient place w/o having to pull new cable through the two story
exterior wall or w/o having to run a new cable into the basement to
come out through the foundation wall (poured concrete). But, is a
good thought...

On the harrassing/annoying solicitations, I'm still getting about 2 or
3 phone solicitors (all on the auto-dial robots) a day from Dish and
whoever else, too. It seems their "out" on this is that if you call
them once, that counts as the "business relationship" to let them off
the hook on the DNC list for actual prosecution for a couple years or
more...

Which is why you call them from a payphone if you want information.
Better yet, dont call them. I have yet to meet any of them who are
honest or reasonably priced. The dish network is one of the worst.