Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S Tim S is offline

Default Land Rover comms link

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Tim S wrote:
A reasonable starting point would be the throttle potentiometer, assuming
the disco uses such a thing as its throttle position sensor.

Agreed. It *has* to use such..since the ECU fully controls the
injectors. And therefire the throttle pedal must talk to the ECU and not
anything in the engine direct.

Yep - what I really meant was as opposed to some sort of other fancy
position sensor (eg Hall senor and moving magnet or optical wotsit rather
than a pot) - I'm out of date on these things, so just making allowances

Might be an intermittent wiring fault or a dodgey pot (or a million other
things, but you have to start somewhere).

I think not a million other things.

I agree with you that the pot is most likely, like 99% likely, but given
it's a computer based system, always worth keeping an open mind - never
underestimate the ability of a computer to fail in some weird-arsed way
based on an unlikely combination of edge cases - I've been caught out
before (not often mind) where the obvious cause of the fault wasn't
actually the cause.

snip

Couple that with my experience that the worts feature of that era and
type of landrover is crappy electrical connections, and I feel there is
very strong evidence that its a corroded connector to the pot.

Do they still use "Lucas, Prince or Darkness" components?

snip

Cheers,

Tim