Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Which end of a 2x4 is the top?

On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 13:18:27 -0600, Sam E
wrote:

On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 06:08:04 GMT, Reed wrote:

wrote:
I just bought a bunch of 2x4s to build a partition wall in the
basement around our washer and dryer. I was ready to start building
the wall when I realized that Home Depot forgot to label the 2x4s so I
know which end is the top and which is the bottom. It figures Home
Depot would forget to put the "top" arrow on them. I thought I'd save
a few bucks going to Home Depot, but next time I'll go to a real
lumber store.

Jerry

Take each 2x4 and stand it on end. The end on the floor is the bottom.

If you're still not sure, hold the 2x4 horizontally with one hand at
what you think is the middle (you may want to hold a nail gun in the
other hand). Whichever end hits the floor first is the bottom.

The HD people should have given you a copy of the instruction sheet that
is supposed to be handed out. BTW, if you need to shorten them, only the
bottom end should be cut off. Also are you sure you got "vertical" 2x4s,
the horizontals are different !

Some of those are mislabeled, and are actually "diagonal" 2x4s. These
are more likely to be warped since many Home Depot employees don't
know how to store diagonal 2x4s properly.

They take up so much more space than the others.