Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Which end of a 2x4 is the top?

I just bought a bunch of 2x4s to build a partition wall in the
basement around our washer and dryer. I was ready to start building
the wall when I realized that Home Depot forgot to label the 2x4s so I
know which end is the top and which is the bottom. It figures Home
Depot would forget to put the "top" arrow on them. I thought I'd save
a few bucks going to Home Depot, but next time I'll go to a real
lumber store.

Jerry
Posted to alt.home.repair

I didn't know there was a difference?
Is it because of the grain or soemthing?

Posted to alt.home.repair

No, it's called trolling. You missed it.

--
Steve Barker

wrote in message
ups.com...
I didn't know there was a difference?
Is it because of the grain or soemthing?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nah, there isn't a difference. The original post was a bull**** troll.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to alt.home.repair

doh.
I thought it had something to do with the grain of the wood, or the
bark side or soemthing.
show's how much I know about wood, I was starting to feel kinda bad
after helping a buddy with his basement and building a few non-load
walls myself, thought I had royally screwed up.

thx

Posted to alt.home.repair

Todd H. wrote:
" writes:

I didn't know there was a difference?
Is it because of the grain or soemthing?

Nah, there isn't a difference. The original post was a bull****
troll.

That's what you say.

Ever seen a tree growing upside-down?

Posted to alt.home.repair

A couple of roofers are up on a side of a roof nailing on shingles.

As one is working, he pulls a nail out of the bag, looks at it, and
hammers it in. Then he pulls another nail from the bag, looks at it,
and throws it away. He looks at the next one and hammers it in.

After a few minutes of this, the other roofer asks, "Why are you
throwing out all those nails?"

He replies, "They put the head on the wrong end!"

"You idiot, those are for the other side of the roof!"

---
That was one of my grandfather's favorite jokes.

-rev

Reed wrote:

Take each 2x4 and stand it on end. The end on the floor is the bottom.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" writes:
Todd H. wrote:
Ever seen a tree growing upside-down?

heh...
that's a good point. I suppose if you really wanted to know which was
the top, you'd look at growth ring spacing.

--
May no harm befall you,
flip

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charlie Morgan wrote:

-- Ever seen a tree growing upside-down?

- Yes! The African Baobob Tree
- http://www.botany.org/plantimages/Im...sp?IDN=09-050h

OK, so I go to this site and I see a tree with a large trunk on the
bottom and a lot of branches sticking up in the air. How is this
"upside down"?

On Fri, 5 Jan 2007 10:16:18 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Todd H. wrote:
" writes:

I didn't know there was a difference?
Is it because of the grain or soemthing?

Nah, there isn't a difference. The original post was a bull****
troll.

That's what you say.

Ever seen a tree growing upside-down?

Yes! The African Baobob Tree

http://www.botany.org/plantimages/Im...sp?IDN=09-050h

CWM

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 06:08:04 GMT, Reed wrote:

wrote:
I just bought a bunch of 2x4s to build a partition wall in the
basement around our washer and dryer. I was ready to start building
the wall when I realized that Home Depot forgot to label the 2x4s so I
know which end is the top and which is the bottom. It figures Home
Depot would forget to put the "top" arrow on them. I thought I'd save
a few bucks going to Home Depot, but next time I'll go to a real
lumber store.

Jerry

Take each 2x4 and stand it on end. The end on the floor is the bottom.

If you're still not sure, hold the 2x4 horizontally with one hand at
what you think is the middle (you may want to hold a nail gun in the
other hand). Whichever end hits the floor first is the bottom.

The HD people should have given you a copy of the instruction sheet that
is supposed to be handed out. BTW, if you need to shorten them, only the
bottom end should be cut off. Also are you sure you got "vertical" 2x4s,
the horizontals are different !

Some of those are mislabeled, and are actually "diagonal" 2x4s. These
are more likely to be warped since many Home Depot employees don't
know how to store diagonal 2x4s properly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Charlie Morgan wrote:
On 5 Jan 2007 09:25:36 -0800, "DerbyDad03"
wrote:

Charlie Morgan wrote:

-- Ever seen a tree growing upside-down?

- Yes! The African Baobob Tree
- http://www.botany.org/plantimages/Im...sp?IDN=09-050h

OK, so I go to this site and I see a tree with a large trunk on the
bottom and a lot of branches sticking up in the air. How is this
"upside down"?

Doesn't it look like a tree with the root structure reaching skyward?

No. It looks like a tree with a large trunk on the bottom, and a lot of
branches sticking up into the air.

Here's what it looks like in leaf:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Baobabtre_b3599.jpg

The folks in Africa seem to think so.

Doesn't make it so.

I guess you need to do a little
more research on the Baobob tree. It's really quite fascinating.

*He* needs to do more research? Or *you* need to?

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 06:11:31 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote:

wrote:

I just bought a bunch of 2x4s to build a partition wall in the
basement around our washer and dryer. I was ready to start building
the wall when I realized that Home Depot forgot to label the 2x4s so I
know which end is the top and which is the bottom. It figures Home
Depot would forget to put the "top" arrow on them. I thought I'd save
a few bucks going to Home Depot, but next time I'll go to a real
lumber store.

Jerry

???????.....?????

3F 3F 3F 3F 3F 3F 3F 2E 2E 2E 2E 2E 3F 3F 3F 3F 3F

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
Charlie Morgan wrote:

-- Ever seen a tree growing upside-down?

- Yes! The African Baobob Tree
- http://www.botany.org/plantimages/Im...sp?IDN=09-050h

OK, so I go to this site and I see a tree with a large trunk on the
bottom and a lot of branches sticking up in the air. How is this
"upside down"?

Well, the idiots on the site have the image upside down...

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.tourismpenang.gov.my/articlePrint.cfm?id=27
explains a bit more.

--
May no harm befall you,
flip
Posted to alt.home.repair

Trust me, the last thing I need to research is a tree in Africa. I am
constantly expanding my horizons in much more fruitful ways.

Look, it's just a tree with a large trunk and skinny branches. It does
not grow upside down no matter legend says.

Hey wait, maybe you're right. I think I'll research how many 2 x 4's I
can get out that large trunk. Anybody got a really big chainsaw?

Charlie Morgan wrote:

-
http://www.botany.org/plantimages/Im...sp?IDN=09-050h

OK, so I go to this site and I see a tree with a large trunk on the
bottom and a lot of branches sticking up in the air. How is this
"upside down"?

Doesn't it look like a tree with the root structure reaching skyward?

No. It looks like a tree with a large trunk on the bottom, and a lot of
branches sticking up into the air.

Here's what it looks like in leaf:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Baobabtre_b3599.jpg

The folks in Africa seem to think so.

Doesn't make it so.

I guess you need to do a little
more research on the Baobob tree. It's really quite fascinating.

*He* needs to do more research? Or *you* need to?

He needs to. There is a LOT to know about Baobob trees. I guess maybe
you could use a little horizon expansion as well. :')

CWM

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:
[...]

They take up so much more space than the others.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 01:13:04 GMT, "Bob (but not THAT Bob)"

I just bought a bunch of 2x4s to build a partition wall in the
basement around our washer and dryer. I was ready to start building
the wall when I realized that Home Depot forgot to label the 2x4s so I
know which end is the top and which is the bottom. It figures Home
Depot would forget to put the "top" arrow on them. I thought I'd save
a few bucks going to Home Depot, but next time I'll go to a real
lumber store.

Jerry

You're making the rash assumption that these are "vertical" 2x4s, when
in fact they could be horizontals, which are only good for top and
bottom plates.

I can work with octagonal, more difficult than any so far.......even
more difficult to find.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Todd H. wrote:
" writes:

I didn't know there was a difference?
Is it because of the grain or soemthing?

Nah, there isn't a difference. The original post was a bull****
troll.

That's what you say.

Ever seen a tree growing upside-down?

Exactly, the end of the 2x4 that was closest to the tree roots would
be the bottom.

Then again, horizontal 2x4s such as the top and bottom plates, should
be labeled "horizontal use only".
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Todd H. wrote:
" writes:

I didn't know there was a difference?
Is it because of the grain or soemthing?

Nah, there isn't a difference. The original post was a bull****
troll.

That's what you say.

Ever seen a tree growing upside-down?

Half way down this page are trees potted upside down... some knucklehead
calls it art.

http://www.massmoca.org/visual_arts/visual_arts.html

Happy modeming,
Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
Trust me, the last thing I need to research is a tree in Africa. I am
constantly expanding my horizons in much more fruitful ways.

Look, it's just a tree with a large trunk and skinny branches. It does
not grow upside down no matter legend says.

But it _is_ upside down. It is south of the equator after all.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

Berkshire Bill wrote:

That's what you say.

Ever seen a tree growing upside-down?

Half way down this page are trees potted upside down... some
knucklehead calls it art.

http://www.massmoca.org/visual_arts/visual_arts.html

But he raises an interesting point. Since half of a tree (roughly) is
underground, when foresters harvest trees to make lumber, are they not
leaving half the wood behind? Isn't this a significant waste of resources?

I could envision a whole new industry: 2x4s made from tree roots would come
already bent and twisted - no need for all that labor to do it by hand.

The mind reels at the possibilities.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6 Jan 2007 08:12:00 -0800, "Harry K"
wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:
Trust me, the last thing I need to research is a tree in Africa. I am
constantly expanding my horizons in much more fruitful ways.

Look, it's just a tree with a large trunk and skinny branches. It does
not grow upside down no matter legend says.

But it _is_ upside down. It is south of the equator after all.

It's "down" that's upside-down.

"down" is the local direction that things move in when unsupported.

Harry K

BTW, now I may hear about the nonexistent X-axis reversal with a
mirror.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent
force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 6 Jan 2007 10:33:03 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Berkshire Bill wrote:

That's what you say.

Ever seen a tree growing upside-down?

Half way down this page are trees potted upside down... some
knucklehead calls it art.

http://www.massmoca.org/visual_arts/visual_arts.html

But he raises an interesting point. Since half of a tree (roughly) is
underground, when foresters harvest trees to make lumber, are they not
leaving half the wood behind? Isn't this a significant waste of resources?

They're into recycling. The other half of the tree eventually becomes
part of new trees.

I could envision a whole new industry: 2x4s made from tree roots would come
already bent and twisted - no need for all that labor to do it by hand.

If HD sells those, do any become unwarped in storage?

(considering the non-zero probability of fixing a malfunctioning TV
set by throwing it on a concrete floor)

The mind reels at the possibilities.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent
force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov
Posted to alt.home.repair

the answer is simple
whichever side is facing up
is the top
at HD the tops are the huge warps that are at their highest point.

wrote in message
|I just bought a bunch of 2x4s to build a partition wall in the
| basement around our washer and dryer. I was ready to start building
| the wall when I realized that Home Depot forgot to label the 2x4s so I
| know which end is the top and which is the bottom. It figures Home
| Depot would forget to put the "top" arrow on them. I thought I'd save
| a few bucks going to Home Depot, but next time I'll go to a real
| lumber store.
|
| Jerry

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:
Trust me, the last thing I need to research is a tree in Africa. I am
constantly expanding my horizons in much more fruitful ways.

Look, it's just a tree with a large trunk and skinny branches. It does
not grow upside down no matter legend says.

But it _is_ upside down. It is south of the equator after all.

It's "down" that's upside-down.

"down" is the local direction that things move in when unsupported.

Harry K

BTW, now I may hear about the nonexistent X-axis reversal with a
mirror.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent
force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov

Nonexistent? You don't see your left hand where the right should be in
a mirror?

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

krw wrote:
- It's not an x-axis reversal, rather a z-axis (front to back)
reversal.

Wait - I'm confused. If I have my back to the mirror how could I see my
front?

krw wrote:
In article .com,
says...

wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Keith

I'm dying to know, what is a/b (e.g 6/4) vs. 2x4 bent Woodworking 20 April 4th 06 02:18 AM
what do you call? threaded on one end, cylinder on the other end. jj Metalworking 2 November 16th 05 06:10 AM
2x4 from hell! John DeBoo Woodworking 6 June 8th 05 10:56 PM
What is the 'top' end of a hydraulic ram? dean Home Repair 2 May 30th 05 03:05 AM
joining spindles end to end Jack Thomas Woodworking 1 October 2nd 04 11:04 PM