Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leo Lichtman Leo Lichtman is offline

Default Forward / Reverse option? Why? (long OT answer)

"George" wrote: Ah, the power of the placebo!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I asked my son's shop teacher about this, and he said, "Just reverse the
sandpaper."

However, I think I can explain why reversing the rotation works: As sanding
progresses in a singoe direction, short hairs of wood fibre are pressed down
and not removed. When the rotation is reversed, these fibres meet the
sandpaper head-on, and are at least partially removed.

What I find just as effective is to apply a little sanding sealer before the
sanding is complete. This penetrates the wood, and holds the fibres from
moving, so the sanding has a more solid surface to work into.

This could also be due to the placebo effect--I have never done control
experiments, or heard of any.

Arch's point about reversing the rotation, and turning inside and backside
should not be missed. You get better visibility, don't lean as much, keep
the toolrest on the front of the lathe where there is more room, and keep
your arms nearer the body for less fatigue and more control.