Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Sump Pump question

In article s.com,
p says...
Yes, it probably was because the 1 1/2" poly line was not perfectly flat as
it traveled 90 feet to the ditch. This is what happens when the final grade
was done 4 months later by a bulldozer and compressed the soil. However, I
have found that eliminating the check valve has eliminated any problems that
could be caused by using it:

Piffle. You didn't have any problems that were caused by using the check
valve.

frozen discharge line

Caused by improper slope of the discharge line.

and the check valve
sticking open.

Caused by locating the check valve in an area subject to freezing.

Using an air inlet valve was a simple and workable solution
for the past 36 years.

If it works for you, fine -- but I agree with the other guy that said
you were lucky, rather than good. I certainly wouldn't advise others to
do as you did.