Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
Ian_m Ian_m is offline

Default Building regs and DIY - Petition on no 10 web site

wrote in message
In free.uk.diy.home Bypass wrote:
wrote:

snip

If it's "self-certified" by an electrician then s/he must have done
the work, the cost (if any) will have been included in the cost of the
work. You can't get an 'outside' electrician to certify some work
that they haven't done and then show the certificate to the council.
If you have uncertified work done then the only way to get it past
building regs is to get the council building regs people to check it.
If they use an outside electrician then that's entirely up to them but
has no effect on what they can charge you.

Anyway its a mess. I have the following state in my kitchen:

- The installer(s) did perform electrical tests of the work done (I have a
test sheet), but issued no Part P paperwork to me or council as his
understanding (which I now know is incorrect) is that he can self certify
and needs to issue no paperwork. The kitchen supplier says its up to their
contractors to issue correct paperwork and inform council, sub-contractors
say they inform the kitchen supplier who then should inform the council of
work undertaken.

- The under unit fanned radiator (cost £100) I fitted and electrically
tested is requiring a £325 charge from council to get tested and certified.