Posted to demon.local,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.caravanning,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.motorcycles

Default Iridium IX Plugs, snake oil????

OH- wrote:
"Snakey" wrote in

As for the copper tip/ iridium tip BS, that's just marketing crap of the
highest order .................

The primary advantage that these plugs have is the smaller
centre electrode diameter, not the tip material.

A sure way to loose that edge (pun intended) is to let wear
round off the electrode. Wear on the smaller electrode is
higher than on a normal one but if iridium is really required
or if a cheaper material would be good enough might be
asked. There are, if I remember correctly, some plugs with
platinum tip that is somewhere between iridium diameter and
the standard.

To expect the manufacturer not to exaggerate the performance
or to sell a new product at anything less than the maximum
price they feel the market will accept is just naive. That does
not, IMHO, make it wrong to buy these plugs if one feels that
the possibility of less maintenance work or better performance
is worth the price.
Using them where normal plugs work perfectly might not make
engineering sense but some people like to spend money.

One of the very few things my father actually said to me was..s

"I tried Wilkinson sword blades, and they last for a week, Gillette last
three days, but they are a third the price. I use Gillette.