Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] bill@bird.peck is offline

Default WEIRD problem with CD player

NO, I have pushed it to be sure it is all the way in.
The tip is from side to side so gravity is not at work here. A front
to back tip will not cause it to operate.

Also, it will only CONTINUE to play in any position once play is
started. If I tip it to read the TOC then lay it flat it will not
start playing.

I HAVE discovered something else.
The sled rides on 2 rails. one side has a sleeve on it, the other
rests on a roller. It will move up about 1/16 inch on that side. If I
try to start it while flat AND holding that side up it works. Once
started, I have to let it go so the sled can move and it continues to
work.
Since that is not giving me a 45° tip, it does point to the lens or
something inside being too far off to see the reflection in its normal
position. Since it comes back at a 45° tip I have to think something
inside is loose rather than the lens gimble as that only seems to move
in the plane of the CD. HOWEVER, there isn't anything else in the assy
that moves except the lens is there??????????
THEREFORE, it has to be the lens gimble, RIGHT?????????

On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 10:38:44 GMT, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
I've tried so many things, I probably looked at that.
There is no restraint on the sled. It moves freely.
The drive belts for the table are weak, but I twisted them and it
seemed to work ok. I made sure it was fully seated when closed. It
wouldn't clamp the CD if it wasn't. I have watched it seeking track 0
but I don't remember if that was only when tipped or if it did it when
it was flat also. I believe there was no action whatever when it is
flat, but I will look again.
I can't see the lens assy from the bottom, but I will try a small CD
and see if I can view it then.

thanks.

Well, if the tray drive belt is weak, then the very first thing I would do
is to replace it. I wouldn't for one second believe with absolute certainty,
that the loading cycle is completing correctly and fully, just because the
disc appears to clamp. I have had similar situations many times, where the
final push of the mech, beyond just clamping the disc, works a "load
complete" switch, and that extra little bit of mechanical resistance from
the switch's spring loading, is just enough to hold it open. If, as you
suspect that you observed, the deck does absolutely nothing when it is flat,
then this would be a good indicator that the system control micro is waiting
for something like a "load complete" signal. In this situation, gravity may
well take over to assist the last little movement, when the deck is tipped.
This would also make sense with your assertion that once the deck has read
the TOC 'on the tip' as it were, it will then play in any position. The
system control micro only needs to be told that loading is complete, once.
Just change the belt, before going any further ...

Arfa