Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller Toller is offline

Default Adjustable shelves

"alexy" wrote in message
"Toller" wrote:

Another problem is that I made a stupid newbie mistake and cut the
shelves a bit too narrow for the space they're going into. I lined up
the saw on the wrong side of the line and the shelves are about 1/4"
too narrow (1/8" on either side). Will this affect the stability of the
pins or put excessive stress on the wood near each pin hole? if
something heavy is placed on the shelf? If so, is there a solution
besides cutting new shelves (there are only two, so it's not too big of
a deal). Maybe I can glue a 1/4" strip of wood to one side of each
shelf to widen it. Or maybe there's some kind of nylon or steel
spacer/extender that I can place in between the shelf edge and the
vertical member?

I have glued a 1/4" strip on when I made the same mistake. It was in a
place where it wouldn't be seen, or I would have replaced the shelf.

Properly you should cut your piece cross grain so it moves the same as
shelf; but if your house is airconditioned and humidified you can probably
get away with cutting with the grain, which would be rather stronger.

You forgot to quote this part of the OP's message: "The shelves were
made from 3/4" birch plywood." So better to rip the 1/4" strip.

You are right! Sorry. And if he is putting veneer across the front, it
will somewhat hide the addition.

--
Alex -- Replace "nospam" with "mail" to reply by email. Checked
infrequently.