Posted to rec.woodworking
B A R R Y B A R R Y is offline

Default Adjustable shelves

wrote:
What's the best way to mount adjustable shelves inside a wood cabinet?
The shelves were made from 3/4" birch plywood.

Best depends on mission...

Some methods:

Shelf pins work great in cabinetry and the holes aren't that intrusive.

Metal tracks are easiest to install and stronger than pins, but are very
visible and maybe considered a tad ugly. These are best left for
utility type stuff, like commercial shelving.

In finer furniture, I prefer to cut hardwood strips, drill 1" to 1 1/2"
holes, the actual size and spacing dependent on specifics, and rip the
strips in half. the strips are then glued to the inside corners of the
shelves. The strips are strong,are barely visible, and pretty if you
can actually see them.

I was going to drill holes for shelf pins, with a jig made from peg
board. These would be the pins with a flat protrusion on which the
shelf rests. But then there's also the type of pin that's recessed into
the bottom of the shelf (I assume a router is used to cut out the
groove in the shelf bottom). This type would prevent the shelf from
moving laterally.

Yup on all of that. The bottom groove can also be cut on a table saw
with a dado set.

Another problem is that I made a stupid newbie mistake and cut the
shelves a bit too narrow for the space they're going into. I lined up
the saw on the wrong side of the line and the shelves are about 1/4"
too narrow (1/8" on either side).

---
Maybe I can glue a 1/4" strip of wood to one side of each
shelf to widen it.

How about 1/8" on each side? Add a 1/8" strip, trim it nicely, and
you'd think it belongs there! G

Three 1/8" strip methods:

1.) Glue a 1/4" part to each end, and recut the shelf
2.) Rip off 1/8" strips and hand sand smooth with a wood sanding block
3.) Buy 1/8" thick "craft wood" in home centers or hobby shops.

Barry