Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob M. Bob M. is offline

Default drill into poured concrete basement walls? any worries?

"Todd H." wrote in message ...

I'd like to drill into poured concrete basement walls to set some
modest anchors to secure the tops of some freestanding shelving units
against tipping on top of small curious nephews and nieces who might
decide to climb on em.

Anything I should know/avoid? I guess my primary concern would be
opening a water infiltration path, but I'd have to think there are
tons of anchors drilled in other walls behind the finished portion of
the basement?

Go to the local rental place and get a hammer drill & bit. You won't be
going nearly deep enough to cause problems with anything. I'd guess that,
at most, you'd be drilling 2" into the concrete.

As someone else said, TapCon screws are the best, but you must use the
proper size drill bit.

Perhaps you can drill into poured concrete with a regular drill and a
masonry bit, but you'll spend hours doing it. With a hammer drill it's only
minutes. A dedicated hammer drill too, not the "all-in-one" regular
drill/hammer drill/screwdriver things. The kind you find at the rental
stores are good-sized beasts but get the job done quickly.