Posted to alt.home.repair
Herb Stein Herb Stein is offline

Default drill into poured concrete basement walls? any worries?

"Harry K" wrote in message
oups.com...

Herb Stein wrote:
wrote in message

"Todd H." wrote in message

I'd like to drill into poured concrete basement walls to set some
modest anchors to secure the tops of some freestanding shelving units
against tipping on top of small curious nephews and nieces who might
decide to climb on em.

Anything I should know/avoid? I guess my primary concern would be
opening a water infiltration path, but I'd have to think there are
tons of anchors drilled in other walls behind the finished portion of
the basement?

I assume a hammer drill is the tool of choice for this task?

The painless solution for this problem is to buy some 1x6, cut it into
3
or 4 foot lengths, and lag-screw one end into the sill plate high on
the
wall. You can then screw or bolt the shelving units to those. (Fasten
the
shelf to the 1x6 at a couple of points a foot or two apart, and don't
put
the upper lag screws in the last inch or two of the 1x6.) No muss, no
fuss, no need for a hammer drill, and easy to remove when you rearrange
the basement. It'll be plenty strong for kid or mild earthquake tip
resistance. Other alternative is to go straight up, and belay the
shelves
off to 1x straps attached to the joists.

aem sends...

The painless solution is to teach the nieces and nephews not to screw
with
your
stuff. I've got five grand-daughters and have never done anything to
"child-proof"
my house. Even 35 years ago with my own kids.

Apparently we are raising a generation of jerks with no respect for
others
property.
--
Herb
herbstein.com

Kids have been killed by pulling bookshelves down, TVs off stands,
etc. You must not have kids or you would know that they do stupid
things and it is _not_ a matter of training. A toddler _will_ do things
like that.

Harry K

OK, I overreacted to the original post. It was late when I wrote that.
I would probably attach it to the wall any way for my own benefit
when I load the shelves up with my valuable collectibles (wife refers
to it as junk).

Of course I have kids. Where do you think the grandkids came from?

I just went off about the safety issue. We never have 0% risk and a
person, as a parent or for themselves, needs to whatever is
appropriate and cost effective to reduce risk

This is not the forum for my rant, so I'll take it elsewhere and confine
myself here to OT posts.

My most humble apologies to the group.
--
Herb