Posted to alt.home.repair
Todd H. Todd H. is offline

Default drill into poured concrete basement walls? any worries?

"HeyBub" writes:

Todd H. wrote:
Thanks to all for the input! The top fastening option looks like it
will actually work vs going into the concrete.

Originally I didn't think the shelves in question would be tall enough
for that to be practical without a long awkward run of cable or
something, but there really isn't that much distance between the top
and the sill plate on these 72" shelves. Now that they're up, they
also hold together vertically better than I originally envisioned.

They'll hold together even better when loaded. BUT there's always the
unforseen.

Think earthquake.

Statistically unlikely in Chicagoland, but you can never be too sure!

If I can find a friend with a hammer drill to borrow, it'd be fun to
put in real anchors. Otherwise, some cable to the sill plate will be
the way I think.

Thanks again to all who responded--very helpful!

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/