Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sam Goldwasser Sam Goldwasser is offline

Default WEIRD problem with CD player

"Arfa Daily" writes:

wrote in message
I don't know if I will ever get this working right, but I sure am
learning a lot.

I'm sure this has to be looking for a reflection before it decides to
starts up the spindle.

I can't see the lens with the CD in. If I put a clear protective disc
in, nothing happens because it sees no reflection.

The unit is a CDP-302, a high end unit. The tag on the laser assy is
BU-1
119712

And from its construction, to replace it might cost the same as what I
paid for the unit new.

Since it will play in any position once started, is it possible the
focus/tracking drive isn't working till it starts and the at rest
position is causing the reflection to totally miss the target.

I can only imagine that to be the case if the disc was not lying flat on the
turntable for some reason. That laser part number is not familiar to me.
I'll see if I can find some service info on this player, and see if I can
think of anything else that you could reasonably try. It's reaching the
point where you have to be starting to think that it's something obscure
rather than common. An experienced eye might just look at it, and see
immediately what the trouble is. On the other hand, sometimes faults like
this can baffle even the most experienced of us.

I agree it may be obscure and possibly an electronic problem. There are
some differences in the part of the circuit used for the focus seach, so
your hypothesis is at least possible.

What I have done in the past to examine what's happening when it tries
to focus is to cut down a normal CD to just larger than the inner track.
One of those mini-CDs might also work. If you see the lens not moving
up and down very far, then initial focus search may be the problme.