Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs Jim Redelfs is offline

Default drill into poured concrete basement walls? any worries?

In article , (Todd H.) wrote:

I'd like to drill into poured concrete basement walls to set some
modest anchors
Anything I should know/avoid?

Drill away, my friend.

I have mounted countless phone SNIs to such walls and only ONCE did I
encounter an obstruction, presumably a rebar.

I guess my primary concern would be opening a water infiltration path

You said "modest" anchors - not THROUGH-THE-WALL anchoring systems used for
buckling/collapsing walls. Of course, unless the drilling site is below
grade, water infiltration is a non-issue.

I assume a hammer drill is the tool of choice for this task?

Correct. The difference between a "regular" drill and hammer drill is like
night and day when it comes to drilling masonry. Good luck!
--

JR

No project too small
All projects too big