Posted to alt.home.repair

Default drill into poured concrete basement walls? any worries?

"Todd H." wrote in message ...

I'd like to drill into poured concrete basement walls to set some
modest anchors to secure the tops of some freestanding shelving units
against tipping on top of small curious nephews and nieces who might
decide to climb on em.

Anything I should know/avoid? I guess my primary concern would be
opening a water infiltration path, but I'd have to think there are
tons of anchors drilled in other walls behind the finished portion of
the basement?

I assume a hammer drill is the tool of choice for this task?

The painless solution for this problem is to buy some 1x6, cut it into 3 or
4 foot lengths, and lag-screw one end into the sill plate high on the wall.
You can then screw or bolt the shelving units to those. (Fasten the shelf to
the 1x6 at a couple of points a foot or two apart, and don't put the upper
lag screws in the last inch or two of the 1x6.) No muss, no fuss, no need
for a hammer drill, and easy to remove when you rearrange the basement.
It'll be plenty strong for kid or mild earthquake tip resistance. Other
alternative is to go straight up, and belay the shelves off to 1x straps
attached to the joists.

aem sends...