Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default drill into poured concrete basement walls? any worries?

A hammer drill and a carbide-tipped masonary bit would be best,
although you might be able to get by with a regular drill.

I doubt you're going to drill deep enough to "puncture" the wall and
let water in.

BTW have you heard of Tap-Con or Pro-Con fasteners? They are screws
that go directly into the concrete without anchors. You drill a hole
with the proper size bit for the screw you will be using and then drive
the screw in with a power driver. One thing to remember: They are
typically used for permanent installations. In most cases, if you take
one out, you can't reuse the hole (unless you upsize the screw).

Todd H. wrote:
I'd like to drill into poured concrete basement walls to set some
modest anchors to secure the tops of some freestanding shelving units
against tipping on top of small curious nephews and nieces who might
decide to climb on em.

Anything I should know/avoid? I guess my primary concern would be
opening a water infiltration path, but I'd have to think there are
tons of anchors drilled in other walls behind the finished portion of
the basement?

I assume a hammer drill is the tool of choice for this task?

TIA for any shared experience!
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/