Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sam Goldwasser Sam Goldwasser is offline

Default WEIRD problem with CD player

writes:

SAM
Excellent info! Thanks -

This assy appears to have the Laser and photodiode array swapped
position wise - IE array is at rt angle to the lens.

But that doesn't tell me why I can start the CD in a tilted position
then lay it flat and it will play just fine till I stop it and try to
restart it.
It will only START in the tilted position, but will continue to play
in any position. It also must be tilted on power up or insertion to
read the TOC, otherwise it won't start on "PLAY" at all.
I just can't picture anything inside the laser assy that could be that
free to move and also be controlled to lock it into position so that
it would continue to play once started.
The lens assy only rotates on the plane of the CD and doesnt appear to
have movement in the "tip" position.

DOES the array need to see anything to cause it to start?

Usually needs focus lock to start spinning the disc.

DOES it search at all by adjusting the tracking of the lens or the
array to FIND the CD?

It resets to the inner stop.

DOES the array adjust ITSELF to provide tracking?
If so how?

The entire pickup moves to do tracking.

As others have noted, with this dramatic a change, it isn't likely to be
a matter of an adjustment, or a bad cable. The servos are no longer
capable of maintaining either focus or tracking lock. These are the sort
of problems where without a service manual, it's unlikely to be repairable.
A new pickup might help, but could also be an electronics problem.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:
http://www.repairfaq.org/