Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Cap Andy Cap is offline

Default drains blocked.

On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 10:11:02 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
r.bartlett wrote:
Hi guy's

Our drain runs from our garden to next door and away. It appears that
the section on their ground has collapsed or at least particially
blocked where the ground has dropped. Thus in less than 2 weeks I'm
paddleless!

However as it's 'my' waste but the drain is on their land who's
responsible??

Joint drains - even on private property - may well be the responsibility
of the water authority. IIRC, it depends on the age of the property.

When our shared drain became blocked, which runs down behind 18 properties
before crossing the road to join the main drain, the site of the blockage, the
work was administered by the Council because no one wanted to assume
responsibility. They added 33% to the bill, then an 18th was billed to each
household. FWIW the estate was constructed in the 50's

Andy