Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Adding Separate Ground Wire to 2-wire Circuit

Just to clarify for the OP, 14-2 (nm) has two wires +ground, 14-3 (nm) has
three wires + ground

wrote in message

"Mark" wrote in message
All things considered if you have the extra capacity in your panel, or if
you have access to the old line feeding the outlet for the computer, I'd
pull a new line, with a ground, to some central point, where you can put
a junction box and feed the computer outlet, including the ground. This
can then be the point to pull grounds for any other outlets that were on
that same circuit.

wrote in message
ups.com...

Tom The Great wrote:
On 30 Dec 2006 09:09:56 -0800, wrote:
imho:

Too many words.

I agree. I get too wordy sometimes for a simple question

First check if you have an existing grounding method. See if the
receptacle boxes are metal and the wiring method is AC (BX).

The boxes are metal, but the wiring is not armored. Even if it were, I
would not rely on it as grounding.

Now if
you aren't a qualified electrician then get one to do the work.
Cheaper than replacing computers, and such.

When it comes to electrical I do feel that one needs to know what they
are doing, be safe, and be comfortable with the job. I do not feel
every task requires putting hundreds of dollars in someone else's
pocket, however. If I needed to replace my panel, I'd hire an expert.
If I'm just installing a new outlet or running a ground wire, I feel
quite capable.

Mark came closest, but I wouldn't even mess with the existing outlets. Add
a new 2-gang outlet behind the computer desk, tied to any convenient
non-switched grounded circuit in the basement. Modern computers don't draw
much. If OP is comfortable fishing wires, a length of 12-3 or 14-3 (for a
single outlet) would be about as quick to fish as the seperate ground. And
if he has an easy road to the service panel, and an open breaker socket, a
dedicated string wouldn't take much longer to run. If an old-work box and
fishing through the wall is a problem, a baseboard- level surface-mount
box and bushed conduit running through the floor wouldn't look that bad,
and could easily be moved or removed, if needed in the future, with only a
tiny hole to plug with a hardwood dowel. For that matter, they sell raised
floor-mount boxes (aka 'couch outlets') that could go through the floor
under the desk.

aem sends...