Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] benjililley@hotmail.com is offline

Default Adding Separate Ground Wire to 2-wire Circuit

"Mark" wrote in message
Mark came closest, but I wouldn't even mess with the existing outlets. Add a
new 2-gang outlet behind the computer desk, tied to any convenient
non-switched grounded circuit in the basement. Modern computers don't draw
much. If OP is comfortable fishing wires, a length of 12-3 or 14-3 (for a
single outlet) would be about as quick to fish as the seperate ground.
aem sends...

Thanks everyone for the replys. This is actually what I'm going to do.
The addition is really just a mud room, and the _only_ thing we use in
that room is two lights - we have never even used the outlets. I'm
just going to fish a short line up to the new outlet I need.

Not to mention when I took the cover off one outlets in the mud room I
was shocked (haha, not literally), at what I saw. Hots with 2" of bare
copper, and not screwed onto the outlet securely, and the whole outlet
wrapped with tape around the outside, almost as if it's to keep the
wires on there. I had to look because in the older part of the house
the guy just put in 3 prong outlets with no ground connection at all
and didn't fill in the ground hole.

Every time I look at a new project in this house I find something like
this, just below the surface.