Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Which type of conduit to place in wet concrete?

On 2006-12-30 09:45:22 +0000, "Dave Liquorice" said:

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 07:20:44 -0000, OBone wrote:

Do I need to use the PVC coated Galvanised Steel version or can I use
the cheaper version?

IMHO you'd only *need* the steel version if mains was involved and it
was going to be buried less than 50mm below the floor surface.
On the basis that there is no mains involved and steel will rust (even
galvanised eventually) I'd use the plastic. Note it can be "fun"
pulling cables through plastic corrogated conduit unless the run is
dead straight, don't forget the bends at each end to bring the duct
above the floor and always fit the biggest size you can. More space
makes it a bit easier to add cables later and most of the "cost"
(labour, time, ease) is putting the conduit in not materials.

There's a solution to the corrugated conduit problem.

- Take small piece of cloth and tie a stout linen thread to it. Thread
is a little longer than conduit

- Tie a piece of string to the thread. String is just over twice
length of conduit

- Tie cable to string at the middle. Tape it carefully to prevent
cable end snagging in the conduit.

- Tape a small piece of nylon stocking or eqivalent to one end of conduit.

- Place vacuum cleaner nozzle over same end and tape over to make a
seal. Use duct tape - it's good enough
for Tom Hanks and space rockets so will be fine for this.

- Turn on vacuum cleaner and introduce cloth carefully into open end of
conduit. If it tends to stick, cut off some cloth.

- Introduce thread in slowly until it stops (length will show that it's
add the far end.

- Turn off vacuum cleaner and remove nozzle and piece of nylon.

- Pull through thread, followed by string and cable.

- This will leave cable and a piece of string in the conduit for
pulling through in the future.

Use 25mm conduit or preferably the larger 50mm stuff that's used under
footpaths etc.