Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Which type of conduit to place in wet concrete?

OBone wrote:

I need to rerun an internal telephone cable in flexible conduit that will
be set into a concrete floor which will be laid soon. Looking at the
screwfix website there are two types.

20 and 25mm. Crush-resistant, self-extinguishing, LSF / Zero Halogen
Polpropylene. Rated IP55. Use with 'Industrial' and 'Metal Clad' ranges. EN
50086 BS 4607.

and

20mm. Crush-resistant, PVC-coated Galvanised Steel Conduit and 10 nickel
plated brass locknuts. Rated IP55. BS 50086.

Do I need to use the PVC coated Galvanised Steel version or can I use the
cheaper version?

Many thanks

Both are a bit OTT for phone wire. Steel is liable to cause concrete
faliure through rusting at some pont, so I'd say no to that one.

Why do you need to conduit the stuff at all?

I dont know where the wire is going from and to, but when burying LV
wiring I'd always consider putting in a good deal more cores than
wanted immediately, as the cost is close to zero and the possible
future uses many.

NT