Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default End-feed or solder ring copper fittings

Ian Stirling wrote:
Mike Dodd wrote:
Mike Dodd wrote:

Basically, with 6/7 rads to replace (/move around), what would be the
generally concensus as to the cheapest method (considering I'm buying
all blow-torches etc. from scratch)

Sorry, to clarify... what I'm really asking, I suppose is... are
solder-ring tee-pieces / joints generally PREFERRED to end-feed?

No.
End feed is more inspectable - you can see the ring of solder around the
edge, and if it's got to the other side of the fitting, it's pretty
certain that it's complete.
However.
With constrained access, solder ring is easier.
Flux (a light smear) should always be used.

Solder ring is certainly the more expensive method - from toolstation -
60p/fitting for 22mm equal t, and 1.40 for solder ring.

End feed is also neater, in many peoples view - especially when no excess
solder is used, and the solder is put on from the back.

My first end feeds were blobby, but sound.

Now they are pretty good.

Always clean pipe with wire wool, and inside fittings as well, and
always use flux.

All the pre-loaded ones do is get solder in. Can't see the point mainly.