Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default End-feed or solder ring copper fittings

In article 4595c326.0@entanet,
Mike Dodd wrote:
As all pipe-work is new (clean copper), given some wire-wool, would the
20% difference between solder-ring fittings, and the price of
solder/flux mean that one or the other is more economical... for someone
who's not soldered pipes in 20 years, is one quicker/easier than the
other?

Basically, with 6/7 rads to replace (/move around), what would be the
generally concensus as to the cheapest method (considering I'm buying
all blow-torches etc. from scratch)

Any advice, as it affects the actual cost to my sister, gratefully
received.

If you're going for solder fittings, reduce the costs further by using end
feed rather than solder ring. The principles of soldering both are the
same - cleanliness, the correct heat and restricting movement until set.
And of course making quite sure there's no water in the tube.

Practice first on some scraps of tube. It's not a difficult skill to
acquire.

--
*I have plenty of talent and vision. I just don't care.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.