Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster Lobster is offline

Default End-feed or solder ring copper fittings

Ian Stirling wrote:
Mike Dodd wrote:
Mike Dodd wrote:

Basically, with 6/7 rads to replace (/move around), what would be the
generally concensus as to the cheapest method (considering I'm buying
all blow-torches etc. from scratch)

Sorry, to clarify... what I'm really asking, I suppose is... are
solder-ring tee-pieces / joints generally PREFERRED to end-feed?

End feed is more inspectable - you can see the ring of solder around the
edge, and if it's got to the other side of the fitting, it's pretty
certain that it's complete.

But you also get the ring of solder appearing with solder ring fittings
just the same as with end feed - I don't see any difference between the
two from that point of view.

I've only fairly recently graduated from using end-feed fittings as my
default choice, and did so on cost grounds; but I would say that solder
ring fittings are definitely the easier of the two for an experienced
plumber to fit. Yes, they do cost more, but TBH I think for the OP the
appropriate cost comparison is his DIY work versus professional fitting,
which makes the difference between end feed and solder ring fittings
trivial in comparison.

David