Gerald Miller

Default Why a 220v welder is as good as a 120v..listen up, I discovered this w/o electrocuting myself

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 09:45:46 -0800, jk wrote:

Well I Lived in one for 20 years. No 220 Oven recept, no 220 dryer
recept, NO 220 period. Just 1 120 to neutral leg.
jk

This is what the low-ball wire pullers used to get away with in newly
electrified areas in the late forties, instal a service panel
consisting of a two pole disconnect switch with two 15A fuses fed from
the single hot wire. This way you got away with 2#10 wires in 3/4
conduit for a service, and gave the sucker a combination of up to 24
lights and receptacles, usually one of each per room. Of course,
electrical octopi, copper penny fuses, and electrical fires
proliferated, but the electrician was long gone before the suckers
started to get used to the convenience and began to think that perhaps
it might be nice to cook on an electric stove on those hot summer
days!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada