Posted to alt.home.repair
Landscape Design Guy Landscape Design Guy is offline

Default Is a fence with noise reduction possible?

A natural solution?

If you have the retaining wall and install a board on board fence which
provides you 9' of protection, you will notice a little difference. Is
there space to add a row of cedars shrubs (4'-5'wide)?
White cedars are inexpensive and will grow to 20' - 30'. In normal
conditions they will grow 1' per year. You can trim the bottom of
these shrubs aggressively as to control the width of the hedging. The
roots are soft and shallow and will not normally cause issues with
retaining walls and pools until 30-50 years.

Some minor insect control issues should be followed because cedars
provide shelter for the mosquitoes. Make sure you and your party
animal neighbor control any standing water on you property (everyone
should be doing this anyway)

A simple wood trellis against the wall of the house(s) with a vine can
reduce some of the reflective noises.

As mention on one of the postings, a water fall with a pond can help a
great deal.

Note: Review the by-law for fence height restrictions, swimming pool
enclosure by-laws, and noise by-law.

From Richard of

http://designedlandscapes.blogspot.com/

buffalobill wrote:
buffalo ny: in our pool, the population increases as air temperatures
rise above 80 degrees F on sunny days. if it's over 90 degrees, nobody
leaves. our kids have always had a pool sized from the baby inflatable
pools on up, but never a pool deeper than their chins. i've been a
lifeguard, wife and 2 kids both swim [including son who was on swim
team in high school.] [even a neighbor's kid on swim team later too.]
the 1990 pool is a 24 ft round x 4 ft deep with about 42" of water.
we have a plain wooden stockade fence. but our friend in vegas has tall
rear yard concrete block walls common to his area that completely
separate each of the new properties. probably 10 ft tall. if there is a
party in the next pool yard you still hear it. always explore the fence
ordinance for all your requirements, and first match up your survey
with the neighbor's survey. you might consult an architect. explore air
conditioning and that "home theater sound system" or " as we call it, a
"stereo" so your windows can be closed.

wrote:
I'll be replacing a fence that borders with a neighbor. It's redwood
picket fence, about 6' high. The neighbor has a pool, so I thought I
might as well try and cut down the noise from the filter and parties
they have, if possible.

I was thinking about building a fence with pickets on both sides so I
can place some sort of noise insulation in between. However, I need
ideas what I could use.

Any advice appreciated!