Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] jim9993928@comcast.net.invalid is offline

Default experience with adding yard drainage basin, 150' run to storm sewer tie in?

said:
How much water is there? Any chance of using dry wells? Some
strategically placed 55 gallon drums with holes cut in the bottom would
collect (number of drums) x (55 gallons) before it would start to pool.

I sunk a 55 gallon plastic drum right outside my basement door since
the bottom is well below grade and my basement used to take on water
during torrential downpours. I sunk the drum, covered the area with
some patio blocks and I've never had a wet basement since.

Thanks for your response.

That's an intriguing idea.... I wonder what a couple of these might
do. It's certainly more than 55gal when we get a good downpour, but
often I wonder if it's less. I guess how much it helps depends on how
porous the ground is already. The ground gets soggy for a long time
as the rain builds up before teh pooling occurs which makes me
envision the soil getting saturated as a prerequisite. I'm not sure
how much delay empty drums would buy me. Hrmm.

So this is an empty drum with holes on top and bottom? Any gravel?
I'm having trouble picturing it. It sounds like a good first thing
to try since no trenching or plumbing is involved. Where did you
get the drum from?

Thanks again for the ideas.

Jim