Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren Oren is offline

Default Removing toilet - adhesive sealant

On 28 Dec 2006 16:17:15 -0800, wrote:

Oren wrote:
On 28 Dec 2006 12:55:52 -0800,
wrote:

A few weeks ago, we used DAP Dynaflex 230 latex sealant while retiling
the bathroom, and used a thick bead of it as caulk between the toilet
and floor to prevent the possibility of leaks. Now we're trying to
pull up the toilet again to replace one of the tiles, but the toilet
won't detach from the floor! We're afraid to pull much harder on the
toilet because we don't want to crack the porcelain.
Help?

I used a razor/utility knife. Penetrate the caulk at some point and
slice around the base. Once the toilet is off you can pull any
remaining caulk by hand.

I always caulk around toilets and always around the entire base. In a
thread awhile back someone mentioned to leave a small space
un-caulked, at the back of the base. It makes sense to me as this
open space could give an early indication of a leak.

--
Oren

That about covers it. One theory holds that using caulk around the
toilet makes it easier to clean, as dirt can't get in where the toilet
meets the floor. The other theory is that with caulk, if there is a
leak, you won't know it right away and there could be substantial rot
damage by the time you do. The suggestion of leaving a caulk gap is a
combination of the two approaches, which may be a good idea.

One thing is for sure. Caulk isn't going to prevent a leak. And
alcohol, mineral spirits or similar solvents aren't going to harm the
toilet or any reasonable tile. But I'm not sure how useful they would
be in removing the caulk either. Best approach I think is to scrape
it off.

I most often try a roll-the-sleeves approach. My friend found a
product to strip caulk. I just always took it out and replaced what
needed it.. We/Her have used it around tubs, where we needed to
remove old caulk. I have not seen it damage vinyl, tile, tubs or
sinks. Works on silicon (slower) and latex.

I forget the name, but look for grout stripper/remover gel type stuff
at the orange store. Paint it on, leave as directed (go to lunch) and
then clean away...forget the name though..

--
Oren