Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Grauwulf Grauwulf is offline

Default RCA projector tube leak

Thankfully on this TV there is nothing under the tubes to leak on to.
The light box is big enough that the chassis is all the way to the rear
of the box and not under the tubes in any way. I have spoken to a
reapir shop and they believe that the arcing has damaged the
convergence IC, so I may just end up taking it in to have them get it
set back up for me. I have very little invested in the TV, less than
$75 at this point, so if I have to pay someone a few hundred bucks to
finish the repair, I can probably live with that. I was looking online
locally and you can't touch a DLP RPTV in the same size for under $1k.
But I am going to sit on it until after New Years and see if I can't
fix what I've done. It is quite possible that I bumped the convergence
rings on the tube when I had it out.

James

sg wrote:
Hi,

Interesting, I have gone through a similar path for 2.5 year old
RCA D40w20 40'' rear projection TV... And the convergence at
its sides is also bad, although the center can be perfectly adjusted...

The story: It was given to me as non-working from a co-worker.
Indeed, there was a coolant leak from at least two out of the three
guns. The coolant ended-up on the neck boards at the bottom of the
TV, causing corrosion & circuit damage. The image was full blast red
for a few seconds before the protection circuits were turning the set
off.

I had to replace a few pins in a corroded connector (flat ribbon
cable),
fix an opened corroded copper trace, and replace three parts
(electrolytic cap, resistor & zener diode) on two of the neck boards,
plus clean the boards to remove any trace of that &?@#$ coolant.

While I still have to cure the original coolant fix, the TV now works
well, however the convergence at the sides is quite poor, even though
it can be adjusted perfectly at the center using the set-up menu.

Is there any hidden convergence menu for these TVs ?

Thank you,
Cheers,
- Sylvain in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Grauwulf wrote:
Okay, I have this set back up and running. I ended up putting a new
clip and cap on the anode lead because the old one still arced.
However, now that I have this back together I have a convergence
problem. I can adjust the crosshairs in the test menu convergnce setup
and it's prefect, but the convergence top/bottom and at the edges is
all messed up. This TV supposedly had a good picture before it quit
working. Any suggestions on how to get the convergence back to where it
should be?