Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills Roger Mills is offline

Default Doubling up underground cable.

I am considering installing a cylinder and boiler in a garage. I may
use two 3 kilowatt immersions. I need to take some cable from the
Consumer Unit to the garage underground. Supplying the boiler,
immersion, lights and sockets in there is more than what a direct
burial 2.5mm cable can provide. Doubling up two of these cables is
cost effective as heavy direct burial cable is expensive. Is it
within regs to have these cables on one 42A mcb at the CU and take it
to a garage CU in the garage and then take all the circuits off the
Garage CU? Makes sense to me.

Or is it best to have each cable on an mcb at the CU and no garage CU
with just two isolators as the cable enters the garage?

Any views?

TIA

Surely, one 6mm SWA cable would be best - and probably cheaper than 2 x
2.5mm cables. The problem with doubling is that if a poor contact develops
where they are connected to the CUs, one cable can end up taking all the
current - and will then overheat.
--
Cheers,
Roger