Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Is a fence with noise reduction possible?

On 27 Dec 2006 11:41:29 -0800, "dpb" wrote:

wrote:
I'll be replacing a fence that borders with a neighbor. It's redwood
picket fence, about 6' high. The neighbor has a pool, so I thought I
might as well try and cut down the noise from the filter and parties
they have, if possible.

I was thinking about building a fence with pickets on both sides so I
can place some sort of noise insulation in between. However, I need
ideas what I could use.

I would venture that a 6-ft fence alone of any type and w/ any
sound-absorbing capability won't make a lot of difference as most of
what you're hearing now isn't coming _through_ the fence but over it.
You might have some success on the filter noise if you could convince
the neighbor (with some cost share, perhaps) to build an enclosure for

Good idea.

it to block the noise at its source, but the folks/party noise is
pretty much a feature of living in a subdivision.

I have a friend who manufactures and distributes individual noise
enclosures in various shapes and sizes. Some are specifically
designed for party guests.

They are available at a very reasonable cost, and if the OP desires, I
could probably get him a further discount.

It won't be quick solution, but if the zoning and space allows, the
most effective longer term solution might be a hedge that can reach
8-10 ft or more in height. Lombardy poplars, for example, while I
think they're kinda' ugly, grow quickly and will fill in almost
solidly. Other choices are available, of course.

As to the direct question, I really have no great ideas for outside
application. The DOT fences along freeways tend to rely on extreme
height and thickness and even they, while mega-bucks/mile, aren't all
that effective.