Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default electrical problem, continued

bubblegummom wrote:
He's under a doctor's care and taking medications. In fact, he was
hospitalized for awhile. He was actually doing much better and I was
enjoying him being so much himself again for the few days just before
this happened.

Loretta

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Loretta; same name as my late and much beloved wife btw.

Lots of good advice in previous posts here.

Even if you have lost all electricity to one side of your fuse panel?
Which as suggested by one person may be a broken off wire or
connection outside and therefore the responsibility and cost to the
power supply company/utility, you still have some electricity!

So don't get too depressed. If the toaster won't work you may be able
carefully to run a heavy duty extension cord from an outlet that does
work etc. And use electricity sparingly until the trouble is fixed.

Also good in my opinion to not take brother's advice; that seemed to be
a very negative response to immediately talk about the necessity to
completely replace the fuse panel. Rather like assuming you need a tree
chopping axe to make a matchstick or tongue depressor?

If it did become necessary to replace it a modern circuit breaker panel
would probably be the way to go. But don't jump to the conclusion that
just because one or two circuits are not working it will/may be
necessary to replace the whole fuse panel! Your wiring may be OK. At
the other extreme it could be old and on 'its last legs' as the saying
is, and therefore dangerous and uninsurable. But don't jump to that
conclusion and get unnecessarily taken advantage of.

Also if you have some sort of record of which fuse supplies which
circuit you may be able yourself tell where or which circuit is faulty.
That could be good information for an electrical repair and reduce the
time it would take. It might be something very simple .... got spare
fuses of the right size?

A reputable and trustworthy electrician is a good way to go; but their
time is valuable, even the time and cost of driving to your location
and having a look or making a quick test takes time.

If you know a competent and trustworthy amateur who will 'look at it'
that might be the way to go before attempting any work. For example I
am trained in electronics and telecommunications but not licensed to do
electrical work. So I know theoretically how it all works ......... not
too long ago I had to help a 'real' electrician confirm that one of
the wires supplying electricity to a neighbours garage was broken at
the supply pole! He therefore could not attempt the repair and as far
as I know did not charge them. Trouble was same pole supplied the house
and the wire to that was not broken!

Lots of helpful people here; if you can lets all of us know how it
turns out cos we will all learn something for what eventually it turns
out be!

Greetings and good luck from Canada.