Posted to alt.home.repair

Default electrical problem, continued

We still haven't been able to figure out our problem. Our power went
out in our upstairs and our dining room. Basically the same things are
out that would be out if a fuse blew but it's not a fuse, so my husband
thinks it might be a problem in the fuse box, but he can't find it.

I started a different thread and wanted to continue with it, but can't
find it now.

Anyway, my husband is afraid that if an electrician tried to find the
problem, he would want to replace the fuse box. Can a fuse box be
replaced with a circuit breaker box?

We have old style wiring (very old) and my brother says it would be
hard to get it to work with a circuit breaker box.

How much money would an electrician likely want to change the box if it
can be changed?

Our fuse box is on the back porch. Is that a problem?

Loretta

Posted to alt.home.repair

bubblegummom wrote:

We still haven't been able to figure out our problem. Our power went
out in our upstairs and our dining room. Basically the same things are
out that would be out if a fuse blew but it's not a fuse, so my husband
thinks it might be a problem in the fuse box, but he can't find it.

If the power went out and a fuse did not blow, you should call the
electric compnay.

I started a different thread and wanted to continue with it, but can't
find it now.

Anyway, my husband is afraid that if an electrician tried to find the
problem, he would want to replace the fuse box. Can a fuse box be
replaced with a circuit breaker box?

Alsolutely - I can't image someone installing a fuse box today.

We have old style wiring (very old) and my brother says it would be
hard to get it to work with a circuit breaker box.

Not true.

How much money would an electrician likely want to change the box if it
can be changed?

At least three hours (possibly four hours) plus parts.

Our fuse box is on the back porch. Is that a problem?

No

Dick
Posted to alt.home.repair

bubblegummom wrote:
[...]

A few possible problems.

A GFI may have tripped. These are devices to protect outlets and lights
that my be shock hazards like bathrooms, kitchens, basements, outdoor
fixtures or garages. They are often built into an outlet. They have push
buttons to test and reset. One may be controlling the circuit you see as
out. It may need to be reset. These are often added to older homes.

You could have a loose wire. It would be somewhere between the breaker
box and the first non-functioning device. Likely at the device. Of course
there is no easy way of determining what that first devise is.

Breakers and sometimes fuses are difficult to determine if they are
really tripped, they also can go bad.

I suggest that after reading both this and the original message that
unless you find a GFI that fixes the problem, you really should plan on
calling in a professional. It is not easy to provide the information you
need to safely check the other problems over the internet.

As for cost, that could vary greatly as code (local or national) may
demand this or that to be done if a replacement is required.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com, "bubblegummom" wrote:
We still haven't been able to figure out our problem. Our power went
out in our upstairs and our dining room. Basically the same things are
out that would be out if a fuse blew but it's not a fuse, so my husband
thinks it might be a problem in the fuse box, but he can't find it.

Don't let your husband work on the electrical system; he doesn't understand
it. The only problems that could occur in the fuse box to cause this are
pretty easy to find -- so the problem is somewhere else. Probably a
disconnected wire somewhere.

I started a different thread and wanted to continue with it, but can't
find it now.

groups.google.com

Anyway, my husband is afraid that if an electrician tried to find the
problem, he would want to replace the fuse box.

Maybe... but isn't it more important to find AND FIX the problem?

Can a fuse box be
replaced with a circuit breaker box?

Certainly.

We have old style wiring (very old) and my brother says it would be
hard to get it to work with a circuit breaker box.

Don't let your brother work on the electrical system either; he doesn't
understand it any better than your husband does.

How much money would an electrician likely want to change the box if it
can be changed?

That varies widely, depending on (among other things -- this is not an
exhaustive list)
- where you are (likely to be much cheaper in Peoria than in San Francisco)
- how many circuits need to be moved
- where the box is
- how much space is available for installing a new box

Bottom line is, we can't see it from here. The only way to find out how much
that's going to cost is to get several electricians to come out and give you
an estimate.

But you're placing the cart before the horse here. The FIRST thing you need to
do is get an electrician out to find out why half of your power isn't working.

Our fuse box is on the back porch. Is that a problem?

Might be, might not be. Can't see it from here. You need to have an
electrician come out and look at the problem. Don't worry about replacing the
fuse box just yet. You need to find out why your outlets aren't working first.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com,
"bubblegummom" wrote:

Basically the same things are out that would be out if a fuse blew but
it's not a fuse, so my husband thinks it might be a problem in the fuse
box, but he can't find it.

A (presumably) free service call by your local electric utility might reveal
the trouble. It's entirely possibly and even somewhat likely that the trouble
is THEIRS. A "leg" of their power (one of the two "hot" wires coming to the
house) may be out. This is NOT uncommon. Call them.

I started a different thread and wanted to continue with it,
but can't find it now.

Usenet is like that. For some, that's part of the fun. grin

Anyway, my husband is afraid that if an electrician tried to
find the problem, he would want to replace the fuse box.

You can be SURE he would. That's his job and livelihood.

Can a fuse box be replaced with a circuit breaker box?

Yes, it is done frequently.

We have old style wiring (very old) and my brother says it would be
hard to get it to work with a circuit breaker box.

With all due respect, he's wrong. It's done all the time.

How much money would an electrician likely want to change
the box if it can be changed?

$400-500. That's a VERY rough GUESS. It could easily be more.

Our fuse box is on the back porch. Is that a problem?

Maybe not. It sounds like yours is an old farm house. Fuse boxes on the back
porch are very common in such cases. Often, when these places are completely
rewired, the service entrance (circuit breaker panel) is moved to a "better"
place, usually on the inside of an exterior wall of the main house, usually in
the basement/cellar, if there is one.

Again, call the power company and tell them you suspect "one of the 'legs' of
your power is out". They can check for that quickly and will probably NOT
charge for the call. Also, check those places I recommended previously:
United Way, the local farm store or church. An accomplished amateur can
probably isolate the trouble (determine exactly what the trouble is). They
may even be able to properly (if not legally) fix it cheap. However, a
licensed, professional electrician is your *BEST* choice. Good luck.
--

JR

Posted to alt.home.repair

I agree with Doug Miller. I guestimate that it's about $1000 for a new
"fuse box" (which, if replaced, will have breakers).

Posted to alt.home.repair

Based on what has been posted concerning the age of the wiring, it sounds
unlikely there would be a GFI involved, but that would be the second thing
to check after ensuring all the fuses were good. Don't assume a fuse is
good by visual inspection alone. Swap it with a new one, or a known good
one from another circuit (of same size of course!)

If fuse and GFI are eliminated, I'd try to figure out for sure what circuit
(fuse) is involved. This may mean using the process of elimination by
pulling the other fuses until you figure out which one is involved. Try to
ensure the problem is limited to the single circuit/fuse. If it turns out
it involves more, then the problem may be in the main fuse/cutoff. Perhaps
one phase of the fuse box has blown or otherwise gone out.

If you fuse box is on a porch, perhaps some moisture has come into play and
it may be that some corrosion has set in. Cleaning the wires and contacts
may solve the problem.

Since it sounds like you have limited knowledge of electrical installations,
the pro is probably going to be your best course, but like anything, the
more you understand of the problem, the more likely you'll be able to get
the best work done at the best price. No sense paying a contractor for a
200 amp panel upgrade when you have no intention of adding anything new that
would warrant that capacity.

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
bubblegummom wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

bubblegummom wrote:

How much money would an electrician likely want to change the box if
it can be changed?

This is REALLY easy to determine. Call an electrician and ask the cost to
install a 100-Amp or 200-Amp service. That's all you need to say.

Replacing an electrical panel is a standardized operation, roughly
equivalent to replacing the brake pads on a car in terms of known expenses.
Your electrical contractor has the procedure down to a science - he does
several every week.

As to cost, the panel with breakers and other miscellaneous parts will cost
the electrician roughly $200. The job requires, usually, two people for
(tops) four hours. If you know the approximate skilled-labor hourly rate in
your community, you can do the math. But, again, most contractors will quote
a flat rate for the job.

Still, it's simpler to just call.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds like a loose wire to me

Pain in the rear but also a good thing to do every ten years or so.
Take all the devices out and give the screws a turn and tighten them
up

Also makes sure in your panel you tighten the neutrals.
Is there only one circuit here we are talking about?

On 26 Dec 2006 05:15:54 -0800, "bubblegummom"
wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lots of good advice on here and one of the best is not to have hubby work on
it unless he understands Electricity and has some basic, proper, equipment.
As far as locating the fuse box that's going to take looking around and
seeing. Some older fuse boxes were located in or around the Kitchen porch,
if there is one by the Kitchen. For one have him look and see where the
electrical meter center is, on the outside of the house. The Fuse box might
not be very close but most likely it is so if the Meter is outside of the
Bedroom then check the bedroom closet walls or an area close to that entry.
If a basement home check in the basement to see if you can follow that
initial wire from the meter into the house and to the Fuse box. Most
important, before looking for a loose wire or any electrical problem TURN
OFF THE POWER. Use a Multimeter to track down problems. These can be found
at Lowes or Home Depot for a reasonable cost. The web site
www.howstuffworks.com may be helpful, look at breaker box on that site.
There are so many variables that often it's best to just get an electrician
if you can't determine it to be a blown fuse or as one contributor put it a
tripped GFCI outlet (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter). Will most likely
look just like a regular outlet (plug) except will have a Red button for
TEST or Tripping the circuit and a Black button for RESET.

Good luck but it's better to hire an experienced electrician if you have a
wiring problem than it is to maybe lose your husband to a nasty shock or
lose the house to an electrical fire.

On 12/26/06 8:15 AM, in article
, "bubblegummom"
wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think only one...

I want to answer all you good, good people and thank you all for your
info, advice and suggestions, even though we haven't mulled them over
completely yet, just in case this thread also goes away from me and I
can't find it again.

I have copied and pasted everything you guys said to a Word document,
so if it does go away, I will still have it.

I also did that with the original thread I started, "electrical
problem."

We have a friend who rewired his whole house and he probably could help
us, but how to get someone who COULD help us TO help us. Not to say
that you guys haven't helped us!!!

Thank you all!!!

Loretta

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

The way it happened was the lights blinked a few times, then a short
while later there was an outage for a few seconds, then a short while
later they went completely out. I don't know if that makes any
difference in diagnosing the problem or not.

Loretta

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

We do know where the fuse box is, it's on the back porch. We don't know
if an electrician changed the box, if he could put the new one on the
back porch.

Electricians cost so much! My husband just keeps saying, "We're
screwed, we're screwed, we're screwed."

He's suffering from severe depression and spends most of his time in
bed. I am forced to try and handle things I am just not equipped to
handle.

Anyway, Christmas was great because all my kids were here.

Thank you, and all of you, for your help!

Loretta

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com,
"bubblegummom" wrote:

The way it happened was the lights blinked a few times, then a short
while later there was an outage for a few seconds, then a short while
later they went completely out. I don't know if that makes any
difference in diagnosing the problem or not.

I'll bet the trouble is OUTSIDE in the stuff that belongs to the power
company. Call 'em.
--

JR
Posted to alt.home.repair

Unfortunately, you are right about the cost of electricians. I'm sorry to
hear about the depression issue, and home problems sure do not help. I'm
sorry I misread the initial post I suppose and didn't realize that you knew
where the box was.

You might check the local paper's classified ad's or www.craigslist.com to
see if you can find a electrician that may give you a better price. Another
source would be the Church. Some Church members maybe electricians, that is
if you go to Church, and would be willing to help out for less. Panel
(Breaker Boxes) are easily found at Lowe's or Home Depot so you don't have
to buy them from an Electrical store however a good Electrical store, if
there is one in your area, is Graybar. If there is one that is another
source to ask for an Electrician that may be willing to do it at a reduced
rate. Any Electrical company though IS going to tug at your purse strings
for sure.

Remember though even Severe depression and desire to keep from paying a lot
for an electrician can put you, him, your house at great risk. If an
electrical circuit is wired up improperly and wires (Hot & Neutral) are
reversed then the circuit may work and seem fine but touching the
refrigerator to the stove could provide a fatal shock therefore MUCH
CAUTION! ..

On 12/26/06 3:24 PM, in article
, "bubblegummom"

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

bubblegummom wrote:
We do know where the fuse box is, it's on the back porch. We don't
know if an electrician changed the box, if he could put the new one
on the back porch.

Electricians cost so much! My husband just keeps saying, "We're
screwed, we're screwed, we're screwed."

He's suffering from severe depression and spends most of his time in
bed. I am forced to try and handle things I am just not equipped to
handle.

Tell him this: If you have a problem, ANY problem, that can be fixed by
throwing money at it, you DO NOT have a problem; you have an EXPENSE.

This simple maxim often puts the most desperate of situations in a whole new
perspective.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Have you considered he might have clinical depression, and need
medical care?

Electrical problems in a home are serious, but electricians are
cheaper than replacing burned down houses.

I'm sad to hear your husband is depressed. Holdays are depressing
for many people. Including me.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"bubblegummom" wrote in message
oups.com...
We do know where the fuse box is, it's on the back porch. We

don't know
if an electrician changed the box, if he could put the new one

on the
back porch.

Electricians cost so much! My husband just keeps saying, "We're
screwed, we're screwed, we're screwed."

He's suffering from severe depression and spends most of his

time in
bed. I am forced to try and handle things I am just not

equipped to
handle.

Anyway, Christmas was great because all my kids were here.

Thank you, and all of you, for your help!

Loretta

Posted to alt.home.repair

Guess that opens up a question. Bubble Mom, where are you
(approximately)?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
.net...
In article

.com,
I have several family members with chronic depression, so I

have some
appreciation for the challenges that it produces.

Maybe I can come have a look, if you're anywhere near

Indianapolis.

Posted to alt.home.repair

He's under a doctor's care and taking medications. In fact, he was
hospitalized for awhile. He was actually doing much better and I was
enjoying him being so much himself again for the few days just before
this happened.

Loretta

Stormin Mormon wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article om, "bubblegummom" wrote:
Gosh, I so appreciate the offer! We're in Seattle, though,
unfortunately.

That's a bit too far to drive. :-)

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm even less help, being in NY State.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"bubblegummom" wrote in message
ps.com...
Gosh, I so appreciate the offer! We're in Seattle, though,
unfortunately.

Thank you!

Loretta
Doug Miller wrote:

Maybe I can come have a look, if you're anywhere near

Indianapolis.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bubblegummom wrote:
He's under a doctor's care and taking medications. In fact, he was
hospitalized for awhile. He was actually doing much better and I was
enjoying him being so much himself again for the few days just before
this happened.

Loretta

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Loretta; same name as my late and much beloved wife btw.

Lots of good advice in previous posts here.

Even if you have lost all electricity to one side of your fuse panel?
Which as suggested by one person may be a broken off wire or
connection outside and therefore the responsibility and cost to the
power supply company/utility, you still have some electricity!

So don't get too depressed. If the toaster won't work you may be able
carefully to run a heavy duty extension cord from an outlet that does
work etc. And use electricity sparingly until the trouble is fixed.

Also good in my opinion to not take brother's advice; that seemed to be
a very negative response to immediately talk about the necessity to
completely replace the fuse panel. Rather like assuming you need a tree
chopping axe to make a matchstick or tongue depressor?

If it did become necessary to replace it a modern circuit breaker panel
would probably be the way to go. But don't jump to the conclusion that
just because one or two circuits are not working it will/may be
necessary to replace the whole fuse panel! Your wiring may be OK. At
the other extreme it could be old and on 'its last legs' as the saying
is, and therefore dangerous and uninsurable. But don't jump to that
conclusion and get unnecessarily taken advantage of.

Also if you have some sort of record of which fuse supplies which
circuit you may be able yourself tell where or which circuit is faulty.
That could be good information for an electrical repair and reduce the
time it would take. It might be something very simple .... got spare
fuses of the right size?

A reputable and trustworthy electrician is a good way to go; but their
time is valuable, even the time and cost of driving to your location
and having a look or making a quick test takes time.

If you know a competent and trustworthy amateur who will 'look at it'
that might be the way to go before attempting any work. For example I
am trained in electronics and telecommunications but not licensed to do
electrical work. So I know theoretically how it all works ......... not
too long ago I had to help a 'real' electrician confirm that one of
the wires supplying electricity to a neighbours garage was broken at
the supply pole! He therefore could not attempt the repair and as far
as I know did not charge them. Trouble was same pole supplied the house
and the wire to that was not broken!

Lots of helpful people here; if you can lets all of us know how it
turns out cos we will all learn something for what eventually it turns
out be!

Greetings and good luck from Canada.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My husband says that since our oven and hot water heater are working
fully, that is a sign there is nothing wrong with the wires coming into
the house. Also, our neighborhood did not lose power.

Loretta

Rick wrote:
"bubblegummom" wrote in message
ps.com...
Gosh, I so appreciate the offer! We're in Seattle, though,
unfortunately.

Thank you!

Loretta

Well, since 700,000 people lost power there last week due to the storms, have you taken
anyone's advice to call the utility company?

Doug Miller wrote:
In article .com,
says...
We do know where the fuse box is, it's on the back porch. We don't know
if an electrician changed the box, if he could put the new one on the
back porch.

Electricians cost so much! My husband just keeps saying, "We're
screwed, we're screwed, we're screwed."

He's suffering from severe depression and spends most of his time in
bed. I am forced to try and handle things I am just not equipped to
handle.

Anyway, Christmas was great because all my kids were here.

Thank you, and all of you, for your help!

I have several family members with chronic depression, so I have some
appreciation for the challenges that it produces.

Maybe I can come have a look, if you're anywhere near Indianapolis.

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

bubblegummom wrote:
My husband says that since our oven and hot water heater are working
fully, that is a sign there is nothing wrong with the wires coming into
the house. Also, our neighborhood did not lose power.

Loretta

He may or may not be correct. If your oven and HWH are gas, the
electrical feed to them is probably only 120V; if you have power in
some areas of the house but not others it is entirely possible that you
have lost a phase on your supply. This could be something as simple as
a poor connection at the pole or meter. If you have a test light and
your wits about you (and stand on a dry board just in case you touch
something you're not supposed to) you can confirm this if you like.

If your oven and HWH are electric and 240V and are indeed operating at
full power, he's likely right.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You should try to find out first if it is the panel or the circuit.
Checking the panel is the easiest way to start. Test the load side of
all the fuses with a voltage tester. If all the fuses are good then
replacing the box would do nothing.

If it does turn out to be a bad fuse block then you could consider
changing the "guts" of the panel to a circuit breaker type.

Changing the "guts" would not be an exorbitant amount of money.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I started a different thread and wanted to continue with it, but can't
find it now.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=bu...TF-8&oe=UTF-8&
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm trying to remember, older wiring and fuse boxes, but I believe that some
older fuse boxes actually have a series of fuses, some smaller, round, fuses
for the individual circuits and then a very large set of fuses, long fuses
that fuse the incoming lines from the meter base and then yet another set of
smaller, shorter yet long not round fuses that fuse a side of the line
coming in yet between the meter fuses and the round individual circuit
fuses. If this is right then one of those branch fuses maybe blown which
could have one section of the home out yet your oven and heat still working.
These fuse blocks are pull out type blocks, if I remember right. There are
round (glass type) clear fuses for each circuit and at the top of the fuse
box or maybe another dedicated fuse box a large, rectangle, plastic box with
a pull ring attached to it. This larger rectangular, black usually, plastic
looking box with pull on it will drop power to the whole house. It has two
long fuses in it, each fuse has a blade on the end (copper blade that
pinches in-between copper receptacles which are molded into the fuse box
themselves. Below that large, usually black, rectangular plate that might
be six inches across and 4 inches down (guessing here) there would be two or
four smaller rectangular plates (maybe 3 inches across by 1 1/2 inches down.
These smaller plates also have a pull molded into the fuse plates. When you
pull these out (careful to remember which way they go in because the should
only go in one way and keep power on. Some allow you to reverse them, push
them back in but the circuit is not made. Anyway pay attention to how they
are in. Pull them out, using the grip molded into the plate, and inside are
two smaller fuses (these fuses are round but long. Maybe an inch to 1 1/2
inch long, You have to have a volt ohm meter to check these fuses but if
it's the type that pull out with the plate then the fuses come out with the
plate and are not still in the fuse box. Don't touch the fuses if they are
still in the fuse box for they still have power and shock potential. If the
fuses come out, with the plate, you can check them with the ohm's function
of a volt ohm meter to see if they are open or still working. You can also
take the fuses down to the local hardware or electrical or lowes and see if
they are good. If bad just replace the fuses with like fuses, plug back in
the plate and you'll be good to go. Some fuses, not many old ones, have a
small pop out tab on the end that pops up if the fuse blows. If you see one
of these tabs popped out the end then that fuse is bad for sure. If no tab
then you have to remove the fuse to test it. If it's the type of fuse that
is in the box and remains in the box, meaning the plastic rectangular cover
is just a cover and not a cover and fuse holder and the fuse remains in the
fuse box then you have to get a VOLT meter and measure voltage from Ground
to each side of the fuses copper ends. One copper end on each side of the
fuse. From Ground you have your meter on 250Volt scale or higher 1000 Volt
scale is fine, there should be voltage on each side of the fuse. The fuse
looks like a large firecracker only copper ends on each end.

That's the only other thought I would have since you said that the oven was
working. That there might, given the age, be a split fuse box and
intermediate fuses between the Main Fuse Panel and various branch circuit
fuses which are small screw in round fuses.

Just remember this IS Electricity and everything should be considered HOT
(or lethal to touch). Electricity is not for learning on the fly because it
can be fatal. At least you can check to see if the fuse box has those black
rectangular plates in the top of it and if so does it have only one large or
one large and several smaller rectangular plates.

Last, if you have a digital camera, you might consider taking a picture of
the fuse box and posting that on here along with your other post.