Dave Plowman

Default What constitutes reasonable wear (cordless drill)

In article ,
Grunff wrote:
I've accumulated both a "normal" B&D which hangs by the bench, close
to the vice, and spends much time drilling through metal at lowish
speeds, and a fair bit of time in one of those vertical stands (yeah,
I've not yet succumbed to a dedicated pillar drill ;-)

I bought a £50 Clarke pillar drill many years ago, and would highly
recommend it. Despite the appalling lack of precision, I still find it
a lot better than a drill in a stand.

I've got one stage worse - the B&Q 39 quid jobby. Several years old now. I
did take it apart and have the 'keyway' properly machined which allowed
the slop adjustment to be set to something approaching reasonable. I also
changed the rear pillar for a slightly longer one to allow taller objects
to fit in the vice.

What makes it head an shoulders above an electric drill in a stand is the
slow speed and much lower noise being an induction motor. Excellent value.

--
*Confession is good for the soul, but bad for your career.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn