Posted to alt.home.repair
bubblegummom bubblegummom is offline

Default electrical problem, continued

We do know where the fuse box is, it's on the back porch. We don't know
if an electrician changed the box, if he could put the new one on the
back porch.

Electricians cost so much! My husband just keeps saying, "We're
screwed, we're screwed, we're screwed."

He's suffering from severe depression and spends most of his time in
bed. I am forced to try and handle things I am just not equipped to
handle.

Anyway, Christmas was great because all my kids were here.

Thank you, and all of you, for your help!

Loretta

Gary KW4Z wrote:
Lots of good advice on here and one of the best is not to have hubby work on
it unless he understands Electricity and has some basic, proper, equipment.
As far as locating the fuse box that's going to take looking around and
seeing. Some older fuse boxes were located in or around the Kitchen porch,
if there is one by the Kitchen. For one have him look and see where the
electrical meter center is, on the outside of the house. The Fuse box might
not be very close but most likely it is so if the Meter is outside of the
Bedroom then check the bedroom closet walls or an area close to that entry.
If a basement home check in the basement to see if you can follow that
initial wire from the meter into the house and to the Fuse box. Most
important, before looking for a loose wire or any electrical problem TURN
OFF THE POWER. Use a Multimeter to track down problems. These can be found
at Lowes or Home Depot for a reasonable cost. The web site
www.howstuffworks.com may be helpful, look at breaker box on that site.
There are so many variables that often it's best to just get an electrician
if you can't determine it to be a blown fuse or as one contributor put it a
tripped GFCI outlet (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter). Will most likely
look just like a regular outlet (plug) except will have a Red button for
TEST or Tripping the circuit and a Black button for RESET.

Good luck but it's better to hire an experienced electrician if you have a
wiring problem than it is to maybe lose your husband to a nasty shock or
lose the house to an electrical fire.

On 12/26/06 8:15 AM, in article
, "bubblegummom"
wrote:

We still haven't been able to figure out our problem. Our power went
out in our upstairs and our dining room. Basically the same things are
out that would be out if a fuse blew but it's not a fuse, so my husband
thinks it might be a problem in the fuse box, but he can't find it.

I started a different thread and wanted to continue with it, but can't
find it now.

Anyway, my husband is afraid that if an electrician tried to find the
problem, he would want to replace the fuse box. Can a fuse box be
replaced with a circuit breaker box?

We have old style wiring (very old) and my brother says it would be
hard to get it to work with a circuit breaker box.

How much money would an electrician likely want to change the box if it
can be changed?

Our fuse box is on the back porch. Is that a problem?

Loretta