Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Solder?

In article WQUjh.8$Xr.1@trnddc04, "Pop`" wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , Oren
wrote:

I've done exactly this, but often wondering if what I did in a pinch
was *okay*. After 17 years that house is still standing. I've asked
myself now and then if what I did was correct. At that time *code*
was not on my mind. This thread makes me even have more piece of
mind. Solder is not necessarily wrong.

Nobody ever said it was wrong -- just pointless. Code requires
soldered
splices to be both mechanically and electrically secure without the
solder. So
what's the use?

The "use" is, the mechanical connection does NOT necessarily imply a good
electrical connection. The mechanical connection simply stops the wires
from being physically separated and coming into contact with something else.
Which is important in the overall scheme of things.

Guess you missed the part about "mechanically AND ELECTRICALLY secure"
[emphasis added], huh? IOW, a splice that's mechanically secure, but not
electrically secure, is not Code-compliant -- period -- and cannot be made
compliant by the addition of solder.

--
Regards,