Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Solder?

Pop` spake thus:

Father Haskell wrote:

Pop` wrote:

Actually, no, a Weller would be a poor choice that that application.
The heat transfer is too slow and would create the aforementioned
problems.

Not if you tin the wires first.

Still wrong, I'm afraid. It helps but won't alleviate the problems.

Then explain how I was able to solder *three* #12 wires with just my
little 30-watt soldering iron. Did it just last night. Of course, I made
sure the tip was clean (using my trusty damp sponge in a tray), and
tinned the tip well before soldering. That's the key: if I don't melt a
little blob of solder on the tip before soldering the wire, I can't do
it at all.

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

- Matthew White's WikiWatch (http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)