Posted to alt.home.repair
Kurt Ullman Kurt Ullman is offline

Default Are quiet bathroom fans really quiet or is it my installation?

In article ,
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote:

# Fred # wrote:
Wife purchased three of the quiet Broan QT080L bathroom exhaust fans with
light and night light. I tested it out on the kitchen table and it was
quiet
so then I proceeded with the installation in the downstairs 1/2 bathroom.
The bathroom is down to studs and subfloor with all insulation removed for
remodel. The Broan has a 4" duct connection but the house has 3". Once
everything was connected, the fan wasn't all that quiet. The noise was from
both fan vibration and wind. Its still more quiet than the old noisy fan
but I could hear the new fan from upstairs. The mounting is solid to joist
per instruction and the connection to the 3" duct is tight. I suppose once
close up the ceiling and walls with insulation it would not be as bad. Are
quiet fans really all that quite? Maybe should have purchased Panasonic
fans
instead - its the same price.

Why would you want a quiet fan? Frankly, I prefer a fan to make a bit of
noise
to cover up any other extraneous sounds that may escape.

You are SOOO Bad, MS