Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Kraus Steve Kraus is offline

Default Solder?

Nobody ever said it was wrong -- just pointless. Code requires
soldered splices to be both mechanically and electrically secure
without the solder. So what's the use?

I remember when I assisted installing projection & sound gear at a theatre
in Elgin, IL I noticed an electrician soldering connections and asked about
it. He said the code there required it commercial facilities. I can't
recall if he was wire nutting after soldering but probably. The added
comfort level induced in me by twist + solder would be more than wiped out
if they were only going to be wrapped in tape but with wire nuts I would
think it's unsurpassed as a safe and reliable connection.

I don't ordinarily solder wire-nuted connections, only under special
circumstances. But FWIW I do like to solder crimped-on spades, eyelets,
etc. too, just for added reliability, too. Largely overkill I know.